Tohu Whenua Awa 'Single Vinyard' Pinot Noir 2017
ABOUT THIS WINE
Intense ripe dark fruit aromas and soft silky tannins result from this unfined and unfiltered Pinot Noir. Complex and elegantly structured.
Awatere Valley Marlborough, New Zealand. Blocks: Araroa, Moana, Rotokaro, Taumauri & Tohu. Planted 2002. 19.22 ha. Loam soils varying from shallow to deep silt, and fine sand.
• intense ripe dark fruit aromas, underlined with bright florals and harmonious spicy oak notes
• flavours of red and dark fruits balanced with soft, silky tannins
• long, lingering and mouth-filling finish
• hand-harvested grapes gently destemmed then chilled for seven days in open-top vessels
• warmed for a fast ferment; the wine was pressed directly into dedicated Pinot Noir French oak barriques for the winter
• malolactic fermentation once the temperatures started to warm again in spring
• rigorous blending and barrel section, with the final blend left to settle a few more months before being bottled without the need for fining or filtration
• Bottled May 2018 – 3276 bottles produced
• a relatively frost-free spring resulted in good early shoot growth
• leaf plucking facilitated bunch exposure and promoted fruit flavour development
• slightly lower than normal Brix levels resulted in clean, concentrated flavours
ANALYSIS: Vintage: 2017 | Alcohol: 13% | pH: 3.93 | T/A: 5.2g/ L
*Vintages may vary from image.