Tohu Whenua Matua 'Single Vineyard' Albarino 2018
ABOUT THIS WINE
From the hilly Kuitiblockat Whenua Matua, this exciting wine continues the legacy of gold at the International Wine Show two years in a row. Bright and aromatic and mouth-watering.
Upper Moutere, Nelson, New Zealand. Kuiti (Narrow) Block. Planted 2011. 1.36ha. Ancient Moutere alluvium clay soils, featuring deeply weathered and dissected gravels.
• deliciously crisp displaying luscious aromas of orange blossom, lime zest and hints of beeswax
• lively, concentrated palate bursting with flavours of white-fleshed stone fruit, lemon peel and juicy pear
• an underlying touch of saline minerality, leading to a long and juicy dry finish.
• a small parcel of handpicked grapes were transported to our modern winery in the Awatere Valley,Marlborough
• gravity-feed into the press, the resulting juice settled in stainless steeltanks
• cool fermentation with carefully selected strains of aromatic yeast sourced from Spain, home of Albarino
• racked off yeast lees and left to mature in the tank for around three months before filtering and bottling • BottledAugust 2018. The wine was held in a bottle to further develop complexity before release. 1620 bottles produced.
• a warm and dry growing season enabled excellent flowering and fruit-set
• heavy rain between February and March providing challenges for the vineyard team
• meticulous canopy management leading up to harvest resulted in exceptional flavours in the grapes
ANALYSIS: Vintage: 2018 | Alcohol: 12.5% | pH: 3.65 | T/A: 6.8g/ L | R.S: 3.2G/L