Tohu Whenua Matua 'Single Vineyard' Pinot Noir 2017
ABOUT THIS WINE
Darkfruitsandsmoky, spicyFrenchoakmeets ripe plum, balanced smooth tannins, and subtle earthy notes. A complex yet elegant Nelson Pinot Noir.
UpperMoutere, Nelson, NewZealand.Tarakona (Dragonfly, or Dragon)Block. Planted 2005.
2.0ha. Ancient Moutere alluvium clay soils, featuring deeply weathered and dissected gravels.
• A vibrant ruby red hue in the glass
• rich dark fruits and smoky, spicy French oak on the nose
• palate of ripe plum, subtle earthy notes, and balanced smooth tannins
• the growing season began with cooler temperatures during flowering impacting fruit set and resulting in low to moderate yields
• a cooler summer brought higher than usual levels of precipitation to the region
• clean fruit at ideal ripeness levels was achieved through meticulous vineyard management allowing light and airflow into the canopy
• grapes were gently hand-harvested, days apart to ensure maximum ripeness and quality
• lightly crushed and destemmed fruit was held in stainless steel for around six days
• the must was slowly warmed and inoculated with specifically selected yeasts
• an extended maturation period on skins allowed for gentle and balanced extraction of colour and tannin
• the wine was developed inFrenchoakbarriques before secondary malolactic fermentation
• Bottled earlyMarch2018without fining. 7020 bottles produced
ANALYSIS: Vintage: 2017 | Alcohol: 12.5% | pH: 3.78 | T/A: 5.1g/L
*Vintages may vary from image.